Bleeding

Bleeding

Monday, August 15, 2016

New Opportunities

I've discovered that working hard and earnestly hoping for things to change won't do you a bit of good unless you keep your nose to the wind for the chance to make change happen. Since the market for museum workers has all but dried up (especially in the organization where I am now), I've decided to pursue teaching college online. Unfortunately, my MA did not provide me with the 18 credit hours needed to get a job doing so. That means I'll need to take another history class this fall. As luck would have it, I was able to get accepted into Murray State University right as the deadline looms. All that's left is to sign up for the class itself and I'll be good to go! Glad I finished my novella in July. For the next ten weeks I might not be able to even manage a short story...

Speaking of writing, I'm very pleased to announce that I am now a contributor for the website Re:Fiction! I saw a call for submissions on the Paying Market section of Absolute Write, and even though they rejected the article I sent them they were so impressed that they offered me a chance to do a series on publishing! It's still in the developmental stage, so keep your eyes peeled!

I never thought I'd do paid non-fiction work. It's a great chance to flex the old brain muscles (and the extra money doesn't hurt). I love inventing stories, but I've had a devil of a time selling anything. The pieces I have in circulation have been waiting for over three months and I have yet to get an agent interested in seeing the complete manuscript of "Lightwitch." Oh well, just another day at the office.

But while thinking about my work and how far I've come, a thought struck me. My first novel "The Eclipse Chronicles/Lunar Dawn," was rejected by everyone I sent it to (except a Canadian e-book publisher but we won't discuss that here...). It might be a trick of memory, but I seem to recall getting more personal rejections from agents and editors then, in the early 2000s, than I am now when pitching a better book. My early writing was passionate, but flawed in every way conceivable. My new writing is passionate, but much more carefully crafted.

So, did my passion get more attention from people back then?

Does that mean I'm holding back with my new stuff? Have I somehow become corrupted by years of rejections, peer feedback, and hours of forum discussion on what's a good yarn?

At least I've got something to think about on this rainy day.


Power to the pen!

1 comment:

  1. Once you've got the credits out of the way, I'm sure you'll greatly enjoy teaching. Though I plan to generally stay in the business world, I hope to also teach a class or two on accounting when I can.

    While the personal rejection amount may be due to either your imagination or passion, I would consider also simply the changing times and tech and the fact that publishers seem to be less involved with those individuals theyre not already dealing with, and rely more on automated processes. Technology binds us together as it pulls us apart.

    Youll get there someday. I believe J.K. Rowling was rejected by a ridiculous amount of firms with Harry Potter, which goes to show that most firms dont necessarily know what will sell.

    ReplyDelete