Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Ability to Adapt

Two story rejections came my way last week. One didn't have any fanfare. The other was accompanied by a very nice letter from the editor, who praised the story's merits and informed me that it was shortlisted in the top ten pieces for final consideration. In the end, they picked someone else, but it's been a long time since I got such a letter.

The magazine in question was called Ember, which is published through the California State Summer School of the Arts. While perusing through their website one day, I noticed they were hosting a special submission call entitled: "The Carrot is Mightier than the Sword." The editors wanted stories based on a painting somebody had done, which depicts a group of rabbit knights confronting a dragon. It just so happened that I was looking for story ideas, and thought, "Why not?"

The result was a whimsical children's story titled "The Curse of Horace Jonah." It's 3200 words long, and owing to time constraints, I typed it out very quickly. It was a fun story to write. I cut loose and didn't think about it too much once it was gone. I expected it would be rejected outright with nothing more than a "No, thanks." Imagine my surprise when I read that letter and saw how many people liked it! Now I'm curious who they did choose. Must've been a killer story.

While I try to find another home for Horace and the other tale, I've finally gotten the money to send my SM3 platen off to JJ Short for recovery. I've heard enough good things about the company and their service. Not sure what the lead time is on these things, so I'll be getting it out tomorrow.

Meanwhile, my Hermes 3000 will stand in as my main typer, for now. I've switched back to my metal typing table and wonder why I ever abandoned it. Sure, the big wooden desk has more room for paper, lamps, my clock, and framed photos, but it's not purpose-built. With the right chair and the correct posture, the metal table makes typing on just about any machine a lot more comfortable.

Saw a pretty little red Splendid 33 on eBay, opening bid was $9.99. It's now up to $40. Guess I should have know it wouldn't go unnoticed. Oh well.

Current temperature is 57ยบ F. I don't like it. January is my month! I want it to be cold! Bug free! No severe storms! These heat spikes threaten to bring all of that back!



  1. Congrats on the short list. I think you'll love the new platen. And I saw that red Splendid too! It's going to go high.

    1. I'm sure I will too! The SM3 is one of my best workhorses, so I'd like to extend it's life. $55 is what JJ quoted me. That's a good price for a few more decades of words.