Bleeding

Bleeding

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Sold My First Story!!!

About an hour before I got off work, I checked me email. Lo and behold was a notification from Bards and Sages. They have selected my story "The Nimrod Lexicon" to appear in their Great Tomes anthology next March!

This is a dream I've been working towards for nearly ten years. I've collected who knows how many rejection slips for short stories and novels alike. I thought that I'd never break into any market. More people are trying to get published than ever before. I'm still in the middle of a huge novel and often second-guessed myself for taking breaks to write shorter pieces.

But this piece really stuck out as a good idea, and I liked the characters. With plenty of encouragement from my loving wife, I put the novel on hold until the story had been polished and sent off.

Needless to say, I didn't expect them to get back to me before the contest was over, and I really didn't expect to be included! It was as if time stood still.

And the typewriter responsible for this?



A typewriter with a good memory is now a typewriter that helped my dream come true.



Power to the pen!

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Also, Towers are like someone gave a Super-5 a nice paint job and sweeter badging, so nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's pretty much a Super 5 clone. A good typing machine, but a noisy carriage return and the ruler in front of the platen rattles like crazy. I've had it a long time and decided to draft the story on it, since I hadn't used it in quite a awhile.

      Delete
    2. do a web search for the "Polt Silencer", it's a quick and easy fix for the SCM rattly carriage syndrome. (:

      Delete
    3. I'd love one of those, if I was mechanically astute enough to make it.

      Delete
  2. Wow - that's great news. Congratulations. That Tower is pretty swell - looks like a magical typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Tower made a lot of licensed clones for various companies. They even made a Lettera 22 copy.

      Delete
  3. Yay!!! That's fantastic, congratulations. The title of your story sure is catchy.

    And your words in praise of typewriters take up most of p. 185 of my forthcoming book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see THAT in print too! We're only, what, a month or so away?

      Delete
    2. I just got my advance copies! Nicely printed. Official release date is November 12.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! need for a change of President in your case!

    ReplyDelete