Bleeding

Bleeding

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Special Gift

I walked into the office and saw this on my desk:



A friend of mine works for the newspaper here in town. We had chatted about typewriters in the past, but I didn't bring it up every time we met. Since he's a big Smith Corona fan, I didn't even know he had this Royal.

No note, no message. I just came to work and got a free typewriter.



Upon closer inspection, it looks like the glass is dirty, not scratched as I had previously feared. Shouldn't take much.



A few spots on the exterior of the body will need work, but I've never done that before. Would water do the job? Other things, like the ruler, are beyond my skill.



A few rusty spots are on the bottom that will disappear once I get my PB Blaster on it. The feet, sadly, are beyond saving and will have to be replaced.




The font is a bit larger than my Royal Deluxe, but still the same crisp Pica I love so much.

You just can't beat a 1940s Royal. I don't even care about the lack of tabulator, right Magic Margin, paper guide, and chrome trim. The fact that it's an economy model makes it all the more interesting.

I've never been given a machine of any kind (except from the folks on my birthday). This one's a keeper, no matter how banged up it is. I'll be sure to upload post-cleaning pics.



Power to the pen!

6 comments:

  1. Sweet gift! One of the great joys of typewriter collecting is getting gifts of typewriters (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Enjoy your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great freebie! I use foaming Scrubbing Bubbles and toothbrush to clean exterior crinkle paint finishes. Be sure to test in a hidden area first, rinse with water and dry thoroughly afterwards. The round marks of discoloration on the front of the frame are unusual and may not go away with cleaning - they may be areas of crinkle paint damage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the gift. I've been gifted two so far: an IBM wedge and an LP44 Antares portable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! I've used cheap toothpaste and a toothbrush on crinkle paint, and it works quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with myoldtypewriter on Scrubbing Bubbles.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete