Bleeding

Bleeding

Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Mystery Revealed!


 




Serial number puts this machine around 1937-38.

Ignore the wavy text. The alignment is fine, but the paper was crumpled a bit.



When I say we made plans, we made PLANS. The seller was supposed to come down to Cape Girardeau for a business trip. That got cancelled. I was supposed to go to Jefferson City for a week of training. That got cancelled. Since she had once worked at the House of Representatives, she told me to call my rep and ask her to bring it to me once the session was over. So, I did. Left a message, and, of course, didn't hear anything back. It was probably the most outrageous thing I've ever done for a typewriter and it didn't even work.

Now, the backspace is a very silly problem. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. When I push the button, I can feel the bar catch something, then slip out of place.

However, if I tip the machine upright and take the weight off, it works perfectly every time.

What the heck is going on?

I'm not upset by the fact it doesn't work, just puzzled. Two of the tab stops had been pushed to the point where one was riding on top of the other. Took me a few minutes before I could worm them out. How does that even happen?

Ah well, the point is I've got a very nice pre-war Royal that will hold a nice spot in my collection.


Next post: some interesting typewriter accessories!



Power to the pen!

10 comments:

  1. Very nice pickup! Worth the trouble, no? :D

    Go put it in TWDB! (or actually, click the link in the email that was sent to you - you're not confirmed yet. once you're confirmed, I can upgrade you to Typewriter Hunter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to, but I've been waiting on my confirmation email for a few days now. Not sure what the problem is.

      Delete
    2. Ok, I whipped up a function to resend the email and used it on your account. let me know if you don't get it. (:

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I'll let you know if I still don't have anything in a day or two.

      Delete
    4. Well, I didn't see you confirm, so I went ahead and upgraded you manually. Welcome Typewriter Hunter (:

      Delete
    5. Thank you! I've been checking my email and didn't get a message. I'll start uploading photos soon!

      Delete
  2. Nice typewriter. Looking forward to seeing you on the Database.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've got a few oddballs that I'll be happy to add.

      Delete
  3. Aha! I knew it was a Royal! I need to give JustAnotherGuy a high five - he too was sure it was a Royal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking machine, it's sure to give you years of writing pleasure!

    ReplyDelete