Bleeding

Bleeding

Monday, July 13, 2015

My New Olympia


Only one of you was correct when I asked you to guess my next Olympia typewriter.

Good job, JustAnotherGuy!


I snagged this big guy off Craigslist right before my darling wife and I went to the zoo. The owner said that it used to belong to her mother, who had it for personal use. Pretty epic home machine!

After falling in love with the SM3, I figured an Olympia standard would have the same quality. There was another SG3 for sale nearby for a whopping $100 (albeit, it near perfect condition). But I chose this one because I like brining machines back to life...and what I do is more akin to putting a band-aid on an injury.

There were a few more things wrong with this typewriter than I thought after an initial inspection. I had to use penetrating oil to free up the links (not in the segment, as is usually the case). The 3 link popped out of place because I used too much pressure. The right margin stop fails to catch the carriage when it's supposed to, and I've no idea how to fix it. The gunk on the outer shell hasn't been cleaned off yet. Not sure if it's rust or just a lot of hard crud. I'm hesitant to take a brass brush to it.

What surprised me was the fact that the entire keyboard is grey. No green keys anywhere, as was common for these 1960s machines (haven't traced the serial number yet: 7-191034).

Mice used to live here.

So much dust...

I'm sure Richard will appreciate these exotic characters.
The "1/" is frozen stiff. Can't get it to move at all.
Isn't ^ a mathematics character? 
I am a little frustrated at myself for breaking the 3 key and not knowing how to fix that margin. But what did I expect? This machine sat neglected in a person's garage for years before I came along. Other than those minor hiccups, it has a good platen and types well. A little more TLC and it should be back to prime condition (once I figure out the best way to do that...).

Best of all? It's got an identical font to my SM3! I like this interchangeability thing that's developing in my collection. My Olivetti 21/Lettera 32, Royal QDL (1949) and Royal FP and KMM, now these two machines.


Power to the pen!

8 comments:

  1. That is a serious cleaning up job you've got there. Mice! The ^ is a caret, a mark for editing when you need to insert something. Though why or how it was used on a typewriter I have no idea. I have the caret on my Remington del luxe model 5, (the first time I have come across it) and I only use it for drawing! Looking forward to seeing this in an episode of Front Stroke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With big office machines like this one, I just assume it was to correct ledgers.

      Delete
  2. Nice rescue! Definitely you're showing a lot of guts and imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully you'll get to read my fiction some day.

      Delete
  3. That looks like such a fun project. I love my SG3 and I covet your plastic paper support which mine lacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to use it! I just need to find out how the links work and the margins so I don't break anything else.

      Delete
  4. I think the keyset is pretty standard for SGs, I believe my SG1 and one of my SG3s have the exact same characters but I could be wrong.

    Have fun fixing it! I'm sure it will be a favorite once you get it up and running, they really are fantastic writing machines.

    ReplyDelete