Bleeding

Bleeding

Monday, June 1, 2015

The Chain Letter Arrives!




New to me Olympia SM3 with italic font. Snagged for $10 from a man in IL who had been
using it at his interior decorating business for 30 years.
Something's wrong with the carriage. It skids on the frame, but the alignment is spot on. Bad bearing?
It interferes with typing, so I will not be using it again until it's fixed.


Came with the case key!

Oh yeah, got this Classic 12 in the same day. $15. All I needed was some glue on the carriage
release lever. Works great and came with owner's manual.

I had a lot of fun doing this chain letter. Many thanks again to Martha and Richard for participating. I will keep these replies and put them in a special scrap book! 

I hope this convinced the rest of you that I'm not trying to steal your identity, or your collection...


Power to the pen!

***UPDATE***


9 comments:

  1. This looked like a lot of fun. Perhaps I'll participate next time ;)

    The problem with your SM3 is extremely common. The rubber washers on the bottom rear of your machine have flattened, and they cause the carriage to scrape the body. You can replace them with modern metal ones, it is very easy.

    Also, $10 is an absolute steal for any Italic machine, the fact that it's an SM3 makes it better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have as many participants as possible next time! This kind of chain letter is not only a great way to converse, but it's a kind of art project too!

      Thanks for the tip on the SM3! I was worried that I would have to take the machine to Vern. Maybe someone has a step-by-step guide on one of the other blogs.

      Delete
    2. http://clickthing.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/amazing-floating-olympia.html

      http://xoverit.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/three-olympia-sm234-carriage-repairs_7.html

      :|)

      Delete
  2. I was right, these SM3s do happen in threes! Great prices over there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $10?! - fantastic, have fun with it ! I'll certainly take part in any future chain letters too. Great to see Richard's reply to my question!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun chain letter - I'll have to take part in the next one. And congrats on your Olympia - great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got back yesterday from a week in Spain. It's nice to see the chain letter project online. Great SM3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for playing, Richard! I'll be sure to keep you on the list for future events.

      Delete