Bleeding

Bleeding

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Quiet De Luxe Quality Control?

I drug out my new 1957 QDL for a test run and discovered that it types nothing like my other Royals, especially my 1949 QDL.

Royals have a familiar touch between the models, no matter which generation. It's something I appreciate in the brand: a gentle feel on the keyboard (even if on the heavy side, as with the FP) and a distinct "tap tap" sound.

My KMM, FP, and '49 QDL all share these traits.

Not the '57 QDL.

It's downright loud and makes an awful clunking sound. Worse yet, the feel is nothing like what I've come to expect from other Royals, especially models produced during the company's zenith. It's stilted and not very comfortable, even though I only have to use minimal force to get good imprints on paper.

Anybody else have this problem? My only theory is that something happened when Royal merged with the McBee corporation in 1954, either that or the QC on this particular unit just went to pieces.

Vincent will be back in my apartment soon, so I can do a side-by-side test.

Maybe I'm crazy and just imagining it...

2 comments:

  1. Or it might just be the personal history of the particular typewriter---abused, ill-maintained, or .... I really do not take any modern "review" of typewriters seriously because of all the unknowns, including the unknown experience of the reviewer.
    == Michael Höhne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible. The ribbon spool cover doesn't close all the way. I'm far from an expert on the subject. You may be on to something.

      Delete