Monday, January 26, 2015

My First Olivetti!

From now on, I'll be reverting to my Sunday-only posting schedule, at least until I get my bearings in Ste. Gen.

The day after learning about my new job, Courtney and I were at a local Goodwill looking for furniture. None of the Goodwills in my neck of the woods are much to speak of, especially if you want a typewriter.

But on that day, my luck changed.

Only problem is the missing "Olivetti Underwood Studio 21" plaque up front.
This is my new-to-me Olivetti Underwood 21! Snagged this puppy for $15 after spying the carry case. It was so large and so wide that at first, I thought it was a box of tools.

Of course, how could I resist a machine with a dealership sticker I don't have?
Is there somebody out there who has all fifty states and territories??

Add caption

I'm a big fan of convenience, and nothing's more convenient than being able to carry paper in the case.

I don't have time to elaborate on the machine's history, or trace the serial number. I wanted to have a font sample here for you, but I'm pretty sure it's a 10 point Pica. As far as problems go, it just needs a new ribbon (which isn't a problem, thanks to my calculator ribbon stash). I've barely had any time to type on it, so I won't have much of an opinion until several thousand words.

This is one of the few foreign machines in my collection, so I'm anxious to see how it performs!

Power to the pen!


  1. I hope you like it. I know my Underwood 21 types pretty well and prints far better than any of my other portables. If you get it a good ribbon it will make really nice work.

    1. Initial impressions are good. I installed a calculator ribbon today, which will serve until I can get a legit typewriter ribbon. It works better on a desk than in my lap. I cleaned the type slugs just to be safe.