Thursday, September 11, 2014

Wild Sightings

After putting my Remington Rand DL up for trade, I realized it would be more practicable to sell it outright. So, if you want it, drop me a line. Understand that shipping will probably be high, $30-$40. Therefore, I'm asking $100 even.

Earlier this week, I decided to hit the local antique stores to see if they might have a suitable replacement. There are none in Sikeston, MO, where I reside during school, but quite a few in the surrounding towns. What began as a casual trip into town turned into a marathon.

Five hours. Half a tank of gas. One hundred miles. Over a dozen different antique stores. I can now honestly say that I've been to every place within reasonable driving distance.

And what did I bring home?

Absolutely nothing. But I got lots of pictures, so have a gander.

Wow, first sighting of the day! Never heard of this line before.
Carriage didn't advance, and it's not what I'm looking for at the moment, but cool nonetheless. $90.

Ah, the ubiquitous Quiet De Luxe. Not sure what happened to those keys,
but the rest of the machine was in decent shape.

Evers since reading Richard Polt's post on the Remington KMC, I keep finding them. Broken space bar.

An Olivetti MS 25 Plus. Bell doesn't work.

I think this is a model 12, can't rightly remember.

I find these Quiet-Riters all over the dang place! Can't get that commercial out of my head.
Go to Youtube and look it up.

This one was in good shape, and even came with a nice old ribbon. But, I'm not interested in another Remington.

Never seen a black and white ribbon in a manual before. Is that what you call "correcting film"?
Ribbon vibrator has suffered damage. What a waste.

Vile deceiver! This Underwood case was empty!

The most interesting sighting of the day: an 1800s Smith typewriter.
Smith is the only word still legible on the plaque. Could be a variety of machines.
$500.....marked down from $750.

I find a ton of these Underwood No. 5s too. The carriage stops before it hits the margin.
If I had any mechanical know-how and the proper tools, I'd buy stuff like this and fix it.

What appears to the case for a Remington Portable #1 or #2. Empty.
I think I'm dealing with a maniac...

Royal KMM very similar to my own. 

Never heard of this particular model before, but the label on the left side reveals it as another Silver Seiko.

A whole row of machines. Royal No. 10. Royal KMM. Remington Quiet-Riter. Woodstock. Sears.

So, I can now say that I've looked at the entirety of the local market and came up empty. Oh well. Some times you win, some times you don't.

About 6:30 on Wednesday night we lost power at the house. It didn't come back on until 4:30 the next morning. So, my grandmother got another antique device and put it to good use.

Gotta love kerosine.


  1. Wow, so many of them! Just sitting and waiting, collecting dust. The store would probably sell any of them a lot quicker if they would wipe them occasionally.

    1. I know, right? Maybe I just don't understand how the antique business works, but I immediately associate dirt and grime with junk. The Remington I'm selling looks the same as the day I bought it, one reason it caught my eye in the first place.

  2. Some well beaten nasties there. But some good machines too.

    1. The Royal No. 10 needed a new ribbon and I the Underwood No. 5 needed a new draw band and bell. If I had the skills and tools, I'd fix them. Hopefully someone else will come along and get them back into working condition.

  3. Wonder if that Royal QDL was a training machine for touch typing? Interesting pieces.

    1. The thought crossed my mind. I've seen a few machines on eBay that came from the factory with a blank keyboard.