Tuesday, September 9, 2014

For Trade: Remington Rand De Luxe Model 5

We're breaking all kinds of traditions, aren't we?

This typewriter was made in 1947. 99% working condition, 99% finish intact.

The De Luxe Model 5 was, to my knowledge, the only sequel to the Model 5 portable, introduced in 1938. Do a quick Google search and you'll get pictures of machines just like mine, but they say "Remington 5" and have a shiny black finish, some have an indention around the "Remington Rand" logo on the paper tray.

The only problem with this machine is that the knob used to control line spacing is broken and hangs free. As a result, the default setting is double-spaced.

The DL Model 5 isn't a bad machine. I liked it enough to use as a decoration on the blog. However, I need a collection with typewriters that I'd readily put to work, not decorations. It baffles me that Remington would keep using outdated technology. The flat type basket was behind the times even when Remington's first portables hit the market in the 1920s. Underwood's front-strike mechanism had replaced everything else (but the Remingtons with the folding type face are still cool to me).

This picture shows the gears that operate the type bars. It feels very alien compared to my other portables.

Instead of going to Craigslist or putting it on consignment, I want my fellow Typospherians to have first dibs. You get the typewriter with a nice carrying case. I'll even give you a free calculator ribbon so you don't have to purchase a replacement. How long will the ribbon last? I put a brand new one on my RR Model 1 a year ago and typed over 90,000 words before it started to fade badly.

I'm interested in a trade right now, not money. I'll entertain all offers, but I have been reading a lot about the Olympia and Torpedo lines (barring electric machines, I do mean all offers, any make and model). I paid about $70 for this one, so something of equal value would be nice. I particularly like typewriters with dealership stickers on them. First come, first serve.

If you're interested, leave a comment with contact information, or email me directly via my profile page. I'm willing to ship to buyers living in the Lower 48.

If nothing else, it looks amazing.

Logo on back, just above the slot that locks into the carry case.

I spent a long time trying to think of a nickname for this typewriter. I can't get over the mild sense of disappointment. Then, I was reminded of Margie Hunt, a character from John Stienbeck's The Winter of Our Discontent. Margie is what we'd call a "cougar" today, and older woman whose promiscuity is known all over town. In the novel, she acts like a good friend to Ethan, the protagonist, but puts on the love charm once he comes into a large sum of money. She assumes, wrongly, that Ethan wants to cheat on his wife, who has been rather neglecting of his needs, and hopes to make him a kind of sugar daddy.

No, I'm not that upset with an inanimate object, but the I like the idea of a devious charm and if I just called it Marge I'd keep thinking about the Simpsons.

Thanks for tuning in, and good luck!


  1. Interested, but I don't know that (a I'd be willing to part with any of mine (b If any of them would suffice in the first place. If I get a lucky hit one of these days I'll be sure to remember this offer.