Sunday, September 28, 2014

Blind Date With a Banned Book

First, a rant.

I sold my Remington typewriter to a buyer in California. It has been several days since I "received payment," but guess what? eBay doesn't want me to have my money!

I direct you to this article.

Two years old, but I'm just now learning about this. I've bought and sold very few things on eBay. I have perfect feedback from all of my interactions. But it seems that selling a $10 movie and then an $80 typewriter is a red flag for this new, stupid system.

So, even thought I need that money to finance a project, I won't be able to get it until October 8. This policy is completely arbitrary and pointless. What's worse, eBay is probably making interest off of my money. When I clicked on the "get your money sooner option" on Paypal's website, it told me to add a tracking number (which I did the day it shipped) or print a shipping label (which isn't necessary since UPS does that for you).

Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?!

*rant over...for now*

Last week I had to get a book from the campus library in preparation for my final exams. September is Banned Book Month, and they had an interesting display to commemorate the occasion.

So here's how it works. You pick a book based on the quote written on the paper.

Hm. What could it be? John Steinbeck wrote a ton of banned books about California.

Yay! I was right.

Ah, but it's not the novel.

I was kind of hoping for something I haven't already read, but seeing this was interesting. To think that someone wrote in this book over 70 years ago...

It reminded me of a quote from John Milton in 1644.

"To kill a good book is to kill reason itself."

Power to the pen!

1 comment:

  1. Very unpleasant! Another reason for not using Ebay/Paypal. I knew Paypal has some weird rules, but this one? Blegh!