Sunday, February 9, 2014


Gah! After a solid week of frozen captivity, the roads are finally good enough to drive on! I can go to church. I can go to the store.

I can...go to school.


Lots of work has been accomplished in the time I was given. I'm over 100 pages into the new book. Woohoo!

I finished my first book of the 2014 yesterday. The Hobbit. It took me longer than I thought. The narrative style and pacing is way different than anything you're likely to see in today's fiction.

My next reading project is Chesapeake by James A. Michener. I'm 50 pages into it. The current chapter follows the tale of Pentequod, an outcast Susquehanna Indian searching for a new life in the wild. Michener, as always, takes great pains to describe the flow of the landscape, but there's one descriptive fact that he has completely left out.

What in the world is Pentequod wearing?

Description is an art form in and of itself. Some authors provide very little, others provide so much that it distracts from the flow of the story and leads the reader to start skipping entire pages. Moby Dick is often cited as one of the worst examples.

Brandon Sanderson often says that you should provide enough description to advance the plot and show the reader that there is a bigger world out there that what you can see through the character's eyes. Makes sense. Doing otherwise would be the infamous "info dump," and we have Wikipedia for that.

Power to the pen!

No comments:

Post a Comment