Bleeding

Bleeding

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Oh There's No Place Like Home

School's over! Winter's here! Snow! Egg nog! Break time! Writing time! Happy time!

I'm not the least bit excited, as you can tell. I'd almost forgotten how beautiful the world looks clothed in white. When I was a kid, they used to show me calendars with the four seasons beginning on the first day of certain months. March for spring. June for summer. October for autumn. December for winter. I used to pretend that our car was going through hyperspace, if we were lucky enough to be out when it was snowing.

Then I grew up. Years passed without seeing so much as a spit of a flurry. I despaired at the notion that my teachers had lied to me. 

But then we got a foot of the stuff in one day. And a lot of it is still here!

Taylor is pleased.

Meanwhile...

I've been writing one book and outlining another. Eclipse Part Two is finally in the works! Might not get it done in 50 days like Hammer and Keys, but that's ok. As was the case last week, I don't have a lot to say, but hopefully what I do say will be interesting.

I was told of a website called Rejectionwiki. For those of you submitting your work for publication, this will help you determine how far your MS made it with the editors. 

From their website:

The goal of the RejectionWiki is to house the standard (or “boilerplate” as they are often known) rejections as well as upper-tier rejection letters. These upper-tier rejections are usually still forms, but knowing that you made a few rounds to that upper-tier can be encouraging. The more different tiers of rejection letters people share, the more transparent the whole process will become.

Rejectionwiki was started by a group of poets. It seems that the website only includes journals or other related publications, which makes sense. That's where the biggest traditional poetry market is.

I decided to give it a go, seeing as one of my pieces was turned down by One Story. If their data is accurate, I got a high-tier letter. Not bad for a guy who hasn't submitted anything in over six years. I tried to make a Christmas list, but no luck. I can't think of much that I really want, except a few more books, maybe typewriter supplies. My, one's perception of Christmas changes a lot over the years. 

When my brother and I were growing up, we used to compete to see who had the longest list. We were inspired by a strip from Calvin and Hobbes. Most of Watterson's adult humor went sky high over our heads, but not the Christmas stories.

Note for Novelists: We are not allowed to pair question marks and exclamation points. Cruel world.

We never got that far along, but I did include a light saber on my list ten years in a row, blue of course. Santa always had to apologize for "not having the magic" to make that dream come true. But I never faulted him. After all, everyone knows you need Kunda or Illum crystal that's been properly attuned to the Force. I wouldn't expect anyone at the North Pole to have access to a mineral deposit banned by the Galactic Empire. Stupid Empire. Stupid quicksand.

But snow is never stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment