Bleeding

Bleeding

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Old Man Winter Is Sneaking Behind My Back!

If you keep up with the news, you've probably heard the story about the bad ice storms that have been wrecking havoc on the mid-west. My home in Kentucky was hit hard by the disaster. My parents have to sleep downstairs where the furnace is because a tree crashed through the roof. They just now got a power generator to run their appliances and my little brother Jordan finally gets to return home after being stranded for several days at a friend's house (not that he can't take care of himself).

The National Guard has been called to help deal with the problem. It's easy to understand how unprepared they were. Severe weather of this degree hasn't occurred in over 15 years! Paducah sits on the very western tip of the state, about an hour from the Missouri border. If you ever wanted to live in a place where global warming seemed to exist, this is it. Sure, it gets cold (about 40 if we're lucky) but rarley to we experience the full package (ice, snow, etc).

The safety of my family and friends is my #1 concern, but I'm equally frustrated that my relationship with Jack Frost has deteriorated this badly!

I love the snow. I love ice. I love the cold. People call me crazy, but I can walk outside in a T-shirt and jeans when it's 50 and smile all day long. Down here in Florida, if the temperature drops two degrees the locals go crazy and wrap up like it's the next ice age!

All of that to say I'm really mad that Old Man Winter would deprive me of something that I enjoy so much. What'd I ever do except praise his handywork? It's like he's got some kind of crule vice against me!

I konw it's a conspiracy, it has to be. The timing is just too perfect. I've only been in school for about two or three weeks and now the weather we should have been getting in December is happening all over the place, except when I'm around. Of course.

I remember how it was in elementary school. There were four seasons: spring, summer, fall and winter. They always had a signature month for each one. Spring started in March, summer June, fall September, and winter in late November. You could always tell when the seasons changed because the weather was suddenly very different. Things happened.

Now we have to put up with green Christmases, scorching Thanksgivings and 4th of Julys that make a boiler look refreshing.

Our educational system is failing. We can't even update our basic meteorology! Either Mother Nature needs to get with the program or we need to get more funding.

Let's just say that if I was in charge we wouldn't see the grass from the 25th of November to the 1st of March.

Power to the pen and those who get to exerience nature's phases on time!

No comments:

Post a Comment