Friday, October 26, 2007

Fire Emblem: To the Brink of Madness

Good morning everyone,

Ok, so I was at last night (actually it took me to watching clips of the Angry Video Game Nerd, when I see this picture appear on the side of the screen. It was a promotion for Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Now, I love RPG's such as Final Fantasy, the Lunar series, Baiten Kaitos, and so on. Marth and Roy were the two most awesome characters in Super Smash Bros Melee for the Game Cube, and on the same console, a Fire Emblem installment was released. I have just one question: why call it Radiant Dawn? The last FE title was Path of Radiance, and unless it has significant meaning to the story, I don't see the point. Was that the REAL Japanese title or the American distributors messing up again?

Anyway, I was interested by the screen so I clicked on it. A little bar came down at the top of the browser that said "Pop-up blocked, click here for options." Now any computer geek knows that holding down the Cnrtl button while left-clicking a link can open up whatever website you want in a new window and override many pop-up blockers. A handy trick and easy fix to the problem, right? Wrong. The bar just kept flashing, obviously not allowing me to get a new window for whatever reason. So I right-clicked it, choosing the "Always allow pop-ups for this website" option.

Here's what makes me mad: the blocker actually has to REFRESH the page! That's right! It can't just say, "Ok, he's unlocked the safeguard let's move on," no, it sets out on a personal vendetta, more like, "Oh, you didn't....that's it, it's on now boy! Take THIS!" The thing I hate about side window advertisements is that most of them are scams or all out boring to begin with, and if there is just one that DOES look remotely interesting, you have to put up with this stupid thing getting in your way every time. So after the page gets refreshed, I thought, "Alright, whatever, I'll just click it again." I looked on the page expecting Fire Emblem, but what I got in its place was a Honda label. Now I'll never know what the new game is about and probably go into depression, losing sleep as I try to pick up the pieces of my broken life.

It's not a total loss. The main character is a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros Brawl, released for both the Wii and Game Cube. So after I get home for Christmas, I'm going to the store, then me and Ike are gonna whoop some butt.

Power to the pen and those who wield it!

No comments:

Post a Comment